I had the best garden this last summer. Now I am enjoying my harvest. That’s what this time of year is about, right? Enjoying the fruits of my labor so I can get excited to do it again. I put yellow and zucchini squash in the freezer for just such a day. This was warm and comforting for my laryngitis although it did not restore my voice. Some day we may talk about how hyper I get when I can’t talk. Let’s just say it is not high on my list of things I wish for!
What You Need:
- 4 cups sliced yellow squash
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups grated zucchini squash
- Fresh thyme stems (8)
- Bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- 2 small chicken breasts
- Vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 6 cups frozen veggies stalks, stems saved from all the good healthy dishes you’ve made
- 3 quarts of water
- 1 ½ tablespoons Kosher salt
- 10-12 black peppercorns
- 2 fresh carrots cut in chunks
- 2 celery stalks cut in chunks
- 2 bay leaves
What You Do:
- Put the yellow squash, onion and chicken breasts on a roasting pan.
- Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Roast for 25 minutes at 425°.
- Put all the frozen veggies you have been storing in a Ziplock bag in a large soup pot.
- Add carrot and celery chunks, salt, peppercorns, bay leaves and enough water to cover.
- Simmer for 2-3 hours until you have cooked every bit of flavor out of the veggies.
- Strain through a sieve to discard all the pieces of vegetables.
- Add the roasted squash(diced) and onion to the broth.
- Add the grated zucchini.
- Simmer about 20 minutes.
- Add chicken breasts(diced).
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Puree in a food processor or blender.
- Return to the pan.
- Add a bit of butter or a bit of grated cheese as a garnish.
Serve with corn muffins or a flour tortilla or a fresh baked hot roll. I made these yeast rolls from a recipe at The Southern Lady Cooks.
It is time for New Friend Friday and do I have a treat for you this week. If you haven’t met Marci or heard about her lovely home, come on over and sit with us a spell.
I am going to ramble about this at some of these fun parties.