I love a good chili. Unfortunately the calories and fat associated are not good for a weeknight. Neither is the time involved. This Quinoa Chili Stew is made from all vegetables but it tastes like meat. A spoon licker for sure.
What You Need:
- one 29 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- one 6 oz can tomato paste
- 32 oz vegetable stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Chipotle chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- salt and pepper to taste
- avocado, cilantro for garnish (optional)
What You Do:
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium low heat.
- Add onions, and cook until soft and they start to turn brown (about 10 minutes).
- Add the garlic and red chili flakes and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, and oregano and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the beans, stock, and potatoes, and season with salt and pepper .
- Cook for about 5 minutes, then add the quinoa.
- Continue cooking for about 30-45 minutes, stirring frequently, until quinoa and potatoes are cooked and the chili has thickened.
Serve with cheese, cilantro, diced avocado,sour cream or fresh chopped onion. Pick your favorite chili toppings.
I am going to ramble about this at some of these fun parties.