Time to get on those New Year’s Resolutions. Put the cookie dough away and get back to basics. I am starting with one of my favorites. It has been cold and gray and nothing will do right now but soup. I initially thought of one of my rich and warm chili recipes but that contradicts with any sort of healthy eating. This soup has all the flavor and very little fat, depending on how much cheese one uses for the top and the kind of tortilla chips added. You’ll note in the picture that I got a little heavy handed with the cheese, but hey, I didn’t have greasy chili! Somewhere this started as a Weight Watcher’s recipe that I got from a friend over the phone. I have made a lot of changes to suit my taste including omitting the chicken. It isn’t a lot of fat, but if I don’t need or miss it, why not leave it out? Room for more cheese! This is a good one for the Yahoo Shine Supper Club this month.
What You Need:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 1 jalapeno finely diced (seeds removed if you can't take the heat)
- 3 to 4 cups chicken broth (depending on how brothy you like your soup)
- 1 15 oz can of pumpkin puree
- 2 cans of enchilada sauce (I used red but green is fine)
- 1 15 oz can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can diced Hatch Green Chiles and Tomatoes (or your favorite brand)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (I used Chipotle)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup of corn kernels
- Tostitos Baked Tortilla Chips
- Reduced Fat Cheddar Cheese
What You Do:
- In a dutch oven over medium heat sautee onion and jalapeno until softened
- Add enchilada sauce, chicken broth, pumpkin, black beans and Chile Tomatoes
- Stir in seasonings
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes
- Add corn and cook for 5 more minutes
- Serve by the ladelful over crushed tortilla chips and garnish with cheese.
If you just can't go without some type of protein besides the cheese you could add a cooked and diced chicken breast or two. You could also top with sliced avocados to add in some of the healthy oil.
I am going to ramble about this at some of these fun parties.